If you click again on the price, you will fly to that city. The latest data of the city you have left will be saved onto your saved game disk PIZ-GAMESAVE (AMIGA only) or onto your hard disk in the GAMESAVE directory. They will be reloaded when you return. If you are carrying any weapons at this stage in the game, you will take them with you to the other city.
If you click on the CHARACTER key, you will be taken to your personal character menu. Here the game mode is shown, and the time when you want to get up the next morning (normally 9.00) is displayed in your note book.
- You might need more time for your activities.
- You might want to burgle one of your competitors, which can only be done at night See section 'CLOAK-AND-DAGGER OPERATIONS".
The longer your break, the more your character can relax. With every day off, your health value will increase by a certain number of points depending on your age. The younger your character is, the more good the holiday will do him and the shorter the time needed to recuperate by a certain number of points.
At the beginning of the game you should avoid going on holiday, otherwise you might give the competition too much of a head start. You would risk missing new trends, market changes or important newspaper items. Also your restaurants would be an easy target for attacks and any other nasty activities your competitors might think of.
Nothing is more depressing than coming home from a holiday feeling fresh and relaxed - only to discover that you have gone bust in the meantime! Once you have got a good grip on your restaurants by entering into long-term supply contracts, employing managers and ensuring you have the necessary cash to cover running costs, you can and should spoil yourself from time to time. If you are relaxed and healthy you will be a lot more active and successful than if you are sickly and exhausted and have to stop work at 3 pm because you have run out of energy. Using the two arrow keys of the key pad, you can go to the player whose data you would like to look at.
THE PIZZA TYCOON CHARACTERS.
|Hopeless case||As good as dead|
|Senator||Mafia big wig|
- Successful ownership of as many restaurants as possible
- Your wealth
- Your popularity with the customers
- The creation of delicious pizzas
- High turnover
- Good business contacts with many suppliers -Awards
- Control over large parts of the city
- Carrying out contracts for the underworld
- Regular contacts with the mafia
- Ruthless behavior towards competitors
- Taking part in shady dealings
- Periods in jail
- Most Beautiful Restaurant in Town Medal
- The Golden Pizza for the Pizza of the Year
- Best Investor in Town Star
- The Cooking Spoon for the most successful imitator of the year
- The Golden Bow Tie for the fastest service
- The World Trade Badge
The competition for the "Pizza of the Year' only takes place at the end of every year. Anyone can take part and financial contributions are not necessary. Your aim is to present a new pizza creation and receive high marks from the jury. The pizza baker with the highest marks will be awarded the "Pizza of the Year" Medal. For one year, he will also be allowed to advertise his creation in his restaurant as "Pizza of the Year" (with the appropriate year).
The title "Imitator of the year" is awarded every year on the 30th of July. Here the medal will be presented to the cook who has won most pizza competitions (at least 5).
- the current game
- your character
- your CV as a mission
On saving, the extension ".GAM" is added to game files, ".CHR2" to character files and ".MIS" to mission files. The extensions are added automatically - you need not type them in.
Amiga users: If you are playing from disk, the settings are also stored under "PIZPREFS" on your saved game disk PIZ-CON1.
All activities you now choose via the KEY PAD refer to the campaign you have chosen:
- View/Advertising: Here you can have a closer look at the advertisement.
- Shopping: Starts a marketing campaign of the selected type.
- Turn Page: You can determine the length of the marketing campaign (at least 7 days). You can also extend its duration after it has already started.
After you have left the menu, the campaign can still be extended but not shortened. You can follow a selected marketing campaign by clicking on it.
If you have started an advertising campaign using the BUY key, you can select the exact nature of the campaign with the arrow keys:
- Flyers - Choose the number to be printed.
- Posters - Choose the graphics.
- Newspaper ads - Choose your individual slogan from a number of text blocks and determine its size using the arrow keys. The effectiveness of the ad depends on the contents of the slogan. If you have chosen a slogan and decide later that you do not like, you cannot stop the campaign because the marketing agency will already have started the preparations. All you can do is cut costs by choosing a small advertisement format and a short duration for the campaign.
- TV ads - Choose the commercial you like best.
On this panel the population is divided into several groups. You need this information to adapt your restaurants in this area (their interior design, the menu and the prices) to your potential customers.
The information includes:
- Average income, telling you the average wealth of the inhabitants of this part of town, and how strongly they react to price changes
- crime rate
- type of area
Residential area Comfort, quality, standard pizzas
Industrial area Price, standard pizzas
Commercial area Time, standard pizzas, quality
Recreational area Individual creations, quality
Shopping area Time, individual creations
Transit area Time, standard pizzas
In highly frequented or densely populated areas with a great deal of traffic, a shortage of free business premises might make it difficult for you to find suitable localities to rent or buy. The number of business premises for sale or rent is shown at the bottom of this page.
The information on rent and price levels per square meter is particularly important. They include an average value of the costs you will have to meet if you want to open a restaurant in this area. “Trend" tell you how property prices are likely to develop. These are long-term trends which determine how prices will develop for months to come.
The six different groups are
- Blue-collar workers
- White-collar workers
- Business people
If, for example, the value under HOT is 0% in the first line, it means that children like hot ingredients about as much as their parents like Heavy Metal, i.e. not at all. So you should serve hot pizzas only if you want to get rid of the little darlings...
However, if you find 100% under SPICY in the bottom line, then you know that the taste buds of the elderly have become so weak that they need lots of spices on their pizzas. Otherwise they might not notice that they are eating pizza at all and think they are sinking their false teeth into a beer mat. These are only two examples. The tastes of the different groups change over time, and occasionally there can be a downright revolution. Generally, however, customer tastes are fairly constant and changes only occur very slowly.
Under the menu heading "Cooking", every ingredient is assigned a specific taste value in the status window.
On the other hand, some stupid tabloid might print a story claiming that a malaria virus has been detected in bananas. People would then scream blue murder and run a mile at the mere sight of anything vaguely resembling a banana. So it is advisable to keep an eye on the papers to see what ideas are being put into peoples' heads and what ideas for new pizzas you can accordingly kiss good-bye...
Trends are expressed in figures. Positive values mean that the relevant ingredient is IN. An ingredient with a negative value, however, is most definitely OUT.
There are different kinds of trends:
Something that remains popular over a certain period of time.
The popularity of the ingredient concerned reaches a maximum or minimum, only to fall or rise again at the same rate.
The popularity soars to a maximum and then slowly falls again.
Your pizza creations are sure to shoot to the top of the charts very soon. But skill and quality are not the only things that count. Chart rankings are based solely on sales figures. So it is important to spread your restaurants widely in order to sell the greatest possible number of pizzas made according to a certain recipe.
Newspaper items will not simply appear on your monitor if something important is happening. Important events just happen and you will not know anything about them unless you click on "Read newspaper". Of course world-shattering events do not happen every day. Some journalists actually invent sensational news or blow completely unimportant items up out of all proportion. Still you should make sure that you don't miss vital news...
"Orders". "Repayment" and "Miscellaneous" cannot be split up according to the individual restaurants.
Not every transaction affects your profit. For example, if you buy furniture, part of your money will be entered under the heading of furniture and fittings, but the total value of your assets will remain the same. Don't worry if at first you see a loss written in red ilk on the left side of the balance sheet. This is completely normal and arises from your investments. You can only make a profit if you sell your pizzas successfully. At the end of the year, the contents of the profit box will be transferred to Company Capital after deduction of 20% tax.
You will find all the Telenet numbers in the Telenet directory for the relevant city which is included in the separate city guide.
Communication with your business partners is carried out by means of a simple menu dialogue procedure.
Yes-no questions can be confirmed with the THUMBS UP key or refused with THUMBS DOWN. In many cases you can choose between different answers. Your business partner at the other end of the line can see you just as you can see him.
Your personal Telenet database is split into the following categories:
- Estate agents
- Insurance companies
- buy business premises and warehouses
- sell them
- rent them
- cancel existing rent agreements.
The estate agent treats business premises and warehouses in the same way.
If you want to rent a place, you will have to hand over the money for the first month's rent when signing the contract. The full rent is always deducted from your account in advance even for part months, so make sure that you have the necessary amount of cash available. Thereafter the rent will always be debited from your account at the end of each month. It is also possible to buy premises you have so far been renting. If you have been renting the place for more than a year, the estate agent might even offer you a discount.
You should, however, always be careful when buying premises. Some estate agents will try to cheat you and demand a higher price than was stated in the status window. Always make a note of the price you were quoted there and insist on this sum.
If you try to sell an object, it is customary practice to deduct between 10 and 20% of the current market price. If you think the estate agent's offer is too low, however, you can always try to push the price up by negotiating. In this case, do not confirm the offer, but click on the THUMBS DOWN key instead. Afterwards you can choose a sentence with which to answer the estate agent.
- Take out loans
You can only take out one loan per bank.
- Accumulate savings
- Transfer money
The account numbers of the players correspond to their player numbers. Player No 1 will have account number 111111, player No 2 will have 222222 etc.
If you select TRANSFER, a cheque will appear. Enter the sum and the account number on this cheque. Then the banker will tell you whether or not it was possible to carry out your order.
There are two reasons why it might not be possible to make a transfer:
- The account you have named does not exist.
- The sum to be transferred is not available in the account.
- Theft: In case your staff is not as honest as you would wish.
- Burglary: In case your warehouse is burgled.
- Fire: Protect yourself against arson and explosions.
- Personal liability: In case you have to pay a fine.
- Loss of life: If you die, you will be brought back to life and the insurance sum will be paid out. Unfortunately, this is only possible in the game and not in real life!
But why on earth does it have to be you. you might ask. Well, if you make donations, the mayor will be more likely to remember you when you need him to. This can be extremely useful when the mayor is due to present awards or your restaurants have to be inspected by the hearth authorities. What's going on in the heads of these big wigs when they make decisions will always be beyond us, of course. But one thing is certain; the more generously you donate, the more likely it is that any decisions will be in your favor...
The policeman can give you important information, e.g. whether and when an inspector is going to pop round to check the quality of your restaurant, or the next time your central warehouse will be examined.
Unfortunately the custodians of the law are usually men of few words, and hide behind a wall of paragraphs and regulations. You have to drop fairly direct hints to make them understand what you are getting at. It wouldn't hurt to make a small donation in advance, just in case you should fall foul of the law some day.
But be careful what you say! The punishments for insulting an official are severe and would not do your standing in the world any good at all...
Joke articles Include:
- Smelly cheese: Lends a very unpleasant smell to any pizzas made from it.
- Laxatives: Have such a laxative effect that the pizza leaves the customer's body before he can leave the restaurant...
- Rats: They are sociable creatures in a restaurant, even though some customers might never come back if they see them.
- Stink bomb: Leaves a terrible stench in the restaurant which lasts three days before it gradually disappears.
- Flame thrower: Bums everything within a range of about 1.5 meters.
- Insecticide: Due to its contaminating effect, the restaurant in question will have to close for several days.
- Bazooka: The projectile will destroy any piece of furniture or equipment it hits immediately.
- Bomb: Destroys everything and everybody within a range of 4 meters.
If you want to sell weapons to a dealer, he will make you an offer. You can either accept it (THUMBS UP) or reject it (THUMBS DOWN).
If you don't have a central warehouse, you will have to carry your weapons around with you. The risk of getting caught with them is extremely high. Whether the police catch you or not will depend mainly on your "dexterity" value. It is advisable to use any weapons you are carrying with you as quickly as possible or re-sell them.
However, if you have established a central warehouse, your weapons will be fairly safe there. You should store them in the warehouse as quickly as you can. Even though there are occasional inspections by the local authorities, you can find out the relevant dates by "persuading" the appropriate politician (see section "AUTHORITIES").
You can only sell weapons you are carrying with you.
Once you have selected one of the clans and introduced yourself to its members, you are faced with the following choice:
- "I need a job on the side."
- "I need money desperately."
- "I need information."
184.108.40.206.3.2.1. Jobs from the underworldWith the first sentence you make it clear that you are not afraid to take part in illegal dealings. This means that the boss of the clan can assign you a job.
For most deals, a meeting point is arranged, and you had better be there on time! Otherwise you run the risk of running into a policeman instead of your contact.
All underworld jobs have some risk attached. You will be told how risky it is before you accept your job. Then you have to decide whether you still want to do it or not.
If you are caught in the act, the local police will arrest you and either put you into jail or impose a fine, depending on what you were doing. You can only accept ONE task at a time.
Depending on your position in the underworld, you will be offered the following tasks:
- Courier services: Your job is to pick up goods from a certain place at a certain time and to deliver them to a different place at a different time.
- Attacks: You have to attack a certain restaurant which will be pointed out to you. There you simply do what you would like to do yourself if it was one of your competitors' restaurants. You will need to have the weapons available or buy them from an arms dealer. You will be told in advance what level of damage or contamination is desired. You will only be assigned this kind of task if you have achieved the position of a pickpocket,
- Laundering money: You are given a certain sum of money which must be transferred in equal parts to four accounts within a specified time. Use your cheque forms from the bank to do this. And be extra careful - your employer would be very unhappy indeed if there were any differences in the sums or mistakes in the account numbers! You will only be assigned this kind of task if you have achieved the position of a thug.
- Arms deals: You have to buy weapons from any arms dealer and to take them to an agreed meeting point. You will have to pay for them out of your own pocket. You will be reimbursed when you receive your reward. You will only be assigned this kind of task if you have achieved the position of a pimp.
- Share deals: You are offered a deal which requires an "investment" on your part. If the deal is successful, you will be paid the agreed amount after a certain period of time. You will only be assigned this kind of task if you have achieved the position of a killer.
220.127.116.11.3.2.2. Loans from the underworldIf you are in a real jam and desperately need money, you can borrow the money from an underworld clan. You will need to have at least the position of an amateur in the underworld to do this.
Select: "I need money desperately."
The underworld also grants loans when no bank will trust you any more. The interest rates, however, are huge; often, twice the amount you borrowed will be demanded back after only a few months. In the interest of your own health you should be able to repay the money when you're told to. There have been reports of mysterious accidents or sudden suicides of pizzeria owners who were hopelessly in debt...
18.104.22.168.3.2.3. Information from the underworld Select: "I need information."If you can come up with the necessary change, you will get some very useful hints and tips, such as the telephone number of an arms dealer.